Monday, September 27, 2010

Secret Reader at Campus Elementary School

Julian's little brother, Adrian, attends Campus Elementary School. Every week, Adrian's first grade class has a secret reader come to class. It's always someone's mom, and even a dad every now and then, but who's actually coming to read is a big secret.

I arranged a few weeks ago for Julian to be signed up to read during his fall break. So we went to Adrian's class today, and I got the book Adrian's teacher, Mrs. Campbell, had picked out, and Julian and I were taken to our seats to wait for it to start. I sat in the big chair, and Julian sat in the little one next to me. I was still holding the book.

Then Mrs. Campbell asked the class who they thought was going to read to them, and they all answered, "Adrian's mom!" Then she surprised them with "No, it's Adrian's BROTHER."

They were all stunned. I thought Adrian was going to burst.

Julian did BEAUTIFULLY. Not a hint of stage fright, very confident, and clearly perfectly comfortable. He spoke clearly and with the correct volume, and with wonderful, interesting inflection. The kids loved it.

After he'd finished, several of them held their hands up for questions (which were usually statements like, "I have that book!" or something similar), and again, he was perfectly comfortable indicating whose turn it was next to speak. He called on them one by one, and responded well to each comment or question.

I didn't notice until I saw the picture I'd taken -- I should have put him in a Bodine shirt! I'm smacking myself in the head for that. We'll get another opportunity in the spring though. The two schools' spring breaks fall on different dates again, so we'll send him in as a secret reader again on Bodine's break.

I'm very proud of him, and, as always, of Bodine. This is a totally different little man than the one who walked in the door at Bodine in 2008.

-Michele Cullen